Monday, June 29, 2009

The Doctor's Office

Ry-guy is two months old today.  I can't believe how quickly the time passes.  We took him to his doctor appointment this morning and the doctor said he healthy!  Although I had no doubt he is doing well, it is always nice to hear it from someone who went to school for so long to learn about babies! :-)  The unfortunate part about the two month appointment is that it included his first round of shots.  I was so glad J-Lo was with me.  He held little man while they poked him.  I think it was more traumatic for me than it was for him.  After giving him the three pokes he cried a little-we gave him his pacifier- and he was ready for a nap.  God was smiling down on me the day he made my son... I am SO LUCKY!  The doctor said he might be fussy, but so far, we are all good.  (The little bit of Tylenol we gave him before his appointment might have helped us out too!)  

I am glad my Ry-guy is healthy because that has not been the case for me.  For any of the breast feeding mom's out there, be sure to get any signs of mastitis checked out right away.  I write about this in attempt to get more awareness out there of this  infection.  

I believe my case started a little over two weeks ago.  I was at the doctor already for my last check up and the doctor saw the redness on my breast.  She did not seem concerned so I wasn't.  A few days later I called the advice nurse because it wasn't getting better and there was a large lump.  The common question is always "do you have a fever?"  In my case, the answer was no.  When I told the nurse about the lump and the BRIGHT RED spot, she got me an appointment the next day.  I went to the appointment, received the antibiotic and continued with the usual suggestions for treatment- warm compresses, rest and nursing as much as possible.  After a few more days, my symptoms were the same, if not worse.  I have always thought that antibiotics should work within 24-48 hours... not happening.  I called the advice nurse again.  This advice nurse that I spoke with was not concerned and said to call back if things got worse... 

A few days later the doctor that delivered Ry-guy called to check in... she asked how I was (she probably wishes she hadn't!) and I told her the story.  She got me an appointment for an ultrasound THAT DAY to have it checked out.  WHEW... finally, someone else who was thinking this huge lump and red sore were not a good thing... When I got to the appointment, I regretted immediately that I didn't bring someone with me.  The whole process was pretty scary- after they did an ultrasound, they did an aspiration (drained) the now LARGE abscess.  It was pretty painful (in my opinion) and I was bummed that I had let this go so far.  The nurse (she was so sweet) assured me there was nothing I did to have this happen... it just does.  

So after the aspiration, my doctor called again and had me come to see her to check on the spot... after seeing me she wanted me to see a surgeon to see about possible removal of the lump... AAAHHHH... was all I could think.  Two appointments (with a rather good looking surgeon) later, we discovered that the antibiotics were beginning to work and surgery wasn't necessary- for now.  WHEW.  After a roller coaster of emotions I can only hope it continues to get better!  

Any new mom's out there, make sure to take care of yourselves.  I was so happy it was me and not Ry-guy with the issue, but I should have taken better care of getting into the doctor when the antibiotic wasn't working.  

He is getting SO BIG!  2 months and 12 pounds! (couldn't be the chubby cheeks?)

10 comments:

  1. Oh man! I've been there, with the Mastitis, but never that bad... OMG... so painful. Glad to hear that you're both doing well (and that sounds like such an ordeal!) He's still adorable, BTW. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awwwwwweeeee... I just love his little face. The little butt better smile at me this week! I was so relieved - no surgery. THANK GOD!

    Good job with the blogging by the way :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. He is A-DOR-A-BLE!! So glad to hear you are on the road to recovery ~ scary stuff indeed.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ewwwwww... I did experience the breast infection (that's what they used to call it?!?!?) and it is NO fun! Glad it was nothing serious and you are feeling better ~ Ry-Guy is too cute and with those cheeks... make me wanna just grab them!

    ReplyDelete
  5. P.S. Bravo for passing this information to other new Mommies!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Kelly, that baby is just growing so fast!! He is so sweet and sounds like he was very tough today! Paula has been keeping me informed about your issues and I am so relieved that you are finally on the mend! We definitely need to plan a day to get together, Love you so much aunt chelle

    ReplyDelete
  7. Kelly, he is so cute! I can't believe how big he is! Hope you're doing better! Can't wait to see you in a few weeks!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Time does fly quickly and before you know it Adorable and Handsome Ry-guy will be running around! OMG! I feel sooo awful for you but Thank Goodness you don't have to have surgery! In your mind focus on the area of discomfort healing and before you know it ALL IS WELL !!!
    p.s. You're pretty good at blogging!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Kel! I am so glad you are feeling better and I pray that you continue to be on the mend. It's crazy how there is still so much you don't know as a first-time mommy, huh? Thank you for sharing your information with other mommies. You will help a lot of people, I am sure. I love seeing these pictures of Ry Guy! I can't believe how big he's gotten! Can we make a date to come and see you again? Or maybe meet somewhere for lunch? Whatever works best for your schedule...let me know! Miss you!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yikes Kel! I am so glad to hear that everything is okay. My friend's sister had the same thing, but had to have the surgery and it did not sound like fun. I am so happy to hear that everything is working in the right direction! He's getting SO big!

    ReplyDelete